Looking for another great event here in the Santa Barbara
area to support our oceans and keep Santa Barbara a wonderful place to live. This is one of the many events and activities that makes Santa Barbara the great community that it is. If you have the time (or make the time) come out and support this
cause. Please view the email below that was sent out by the local chapter of The Surfrider Foundation.
SANTA BARBARA CHAPTER SURFRIDER FOUNDATION PRESENTS
TURN THE TIDE ON OCEAN POLLUTION: PADDLE FOR CLEAN WATER EVENT
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2008, 11AM
The Santa Barbara Chapter of Surfrider will hold its fourth anniversary Paddle Out, “Turn the Tide on Ocean Pollution” event at Stearn’s Wharf from 11:00 am to 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 20, 2008. People-powered participants of all ages are invited to join the paddle out in solidarity of preserving and protecting the world’s oceans.
This event offers two levels of participation: (1) Open registration (FREE) (2) Surfrider Supporter for $25. The Surfrider Supporters will receive goodie bags, including an event tee shirtand a lunch ticket for Wahoo’s. Please be sure to bring your kids too. Each child accompanied by one Surfrider Supporter will receive a goodie bag with a children’s shirt (quantities limited so be sure to register as soon as possible).
More Information and Registration
Special Event Announcements:
(1) A limited number of event tee shirtsare available. Pre-registered participants are guaranteed the size and color shirt they want.
(2) Sign yourself and three friends up; get a pair of Simple Shoes’ Joe Curren Re Tires. 20 pairs of shoes are available for those who enjoy paddling with their posse.
(3) The first 50 paddlers (both pre-registered and new registrants) in line on Saturday, September 20 after 11:00 am will get lunch at Wahoo’s.
(4) Silent Auction donors include Billabong, Caribbean Coffee, New Belgium Brewing Co, Magellan’s, Patagonia, Simple Shoes, and The Walking Company. Credit card accepted.
Why are We Paddling?
We are encouraging Santa Barbara to take the Rise Above Plastics pledge. Santa Barbara Surfrider’s Paddle for Clean Water participants will shed some of their dependence on convenience plastics by using event goodie bags made from recycled plastic bottles for their grocery shopping. Santa Barbara Surfrider water bottles will also be available as another way to reduce single use plastic bottles. By taking the Rise Above Plastics pledge, each participant will, on average, remove 400 plastic grocery bags and 167 plastic bottles from the chain.
Registration is Open
Please join us as either a (1) Participant where you can paddle with us to show your support and solidarity with Surfrider, and learn more about what we can all do to help heal our oceans, or as a (2) Surfrider Supporter. Surfrider Supporters will receive a goodie bag which will include an event tee shirt and other give aways from our merchandising partners. Each child will receive a tee shirt and goodie bag with every paid adult Supporter thanks to the generous contributions of our local corporate sponsors like Citrix Online and Maps.com.
Event Day and Time
Saturday, September 20, 2008, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Registration begins at 11:00 am
- Silient Auction opens at 11:00 am
- Speakers begin at noon
- Paddle Out starts at 1:00 pm
- Paddle Out concludes at 1:30 pm