A Few Very Important Qualities You Should Consider When Picking A Great Real Estate Agent Here In Santa Barbara
Whether you are a first time home buyer or not, first time home seller or not, you most likely would prefer to work with not just a good agent...but a great real estate agent.
Here is some advice to buyers and sellers when looking for a GREAT real estate agent here in the Santa Barbara area:
- Make sure you get referrals from your friends, colleagues and relatives to the agents they have worked with in the past. "Everyone" knows a realtor so this is a great place to start.
- If you don't know anyone in town, do some online research and look for an agent that is extremely active, sells a lot, has many testimonials and good reviews and seems to click with your personality via their online bio.
- With regards to agent reviews, take a look at these on Zillow and Trulia, as well as on the agent's personal site. This will give you a good feel of how this agent works and can work for you.
- Does the agent provide you with good information and tools online...Or is this just a simple static site. An active agent is interested in their business, their profession and ultimately in helping you.
- Contact the one or two agents on your short list and check how quickly you get responses. Communication and timely responses are enormously important in the Santa Barbara Real Estate market.
- Ultimately then make your own judgement based on your meeting up with the agent(s).
Once you feel you have found a GREAT agent that works for you, make sure you also feel that they have the following credentials (if you don't already feel this way).
- Are they creative/calm. Not all transactions go as planned, go to schedule etc. Issues with loans, appraisals, buyers backing out, tough sellers, tough inspection reports etc. will and do arise. You need an agent with experience to deal with all of this, an agent that is calm and creative, that can and will help you look at facts and smoothly find solutions and answers.
- Does he/she understand that you are often buying a lifestyle as well as the process being a financial transaction. You need an agent that understands this and you, your personal situation, your future plans, your family's style of life. You need an agent that can take this information about you and match it to the style of homes in Santa Barbara, the different areas/neighborhoods in Santa Barbara etc. You want an agent that really "gets" the home buying process.
- Honesty and frankness. You want and need your real estate agent to be very honest with you. You need an agent to be frank from the start of your home search process, to writing an offer, to getting an offer accepted, to the entire transaction process. No one has time for sellers to persist in a fantasy world about the belief of what their home is worth – contrary to all evidence as to what the market value is. Buyers then need to have an agent that will not allow you to write a low ball offer on a home they know will get 3-4 offers at or above asking price. Buyers need agents to show them homes in their price range and not higher with the hope that a seller will wake up and say..."sure I will now take 20% below my asking price."
- True experience. We all need to start somewhere, but hopefully it will not be with you. Many seasoned agents talk about how much they know now versus when they started. To be more precise, how little they knew when they started. We all need to start somewhere, but buying and selling a home is not for the inexperienced. If possible, it would be best if you are able to work with an agent with a minimum of 7-10 years experience or more. In this time they have hopefully closed at least 50 transactions or more. Additionally a true native of the town is always a huge plus.
I could talk about several other thoughts and ideas, but I think you have a good/great idea of what you need to be doing when searching for a real estate agent that can best be of help to you. Good luck to you! Further Reading:
- Santa Barbara Market Statistics
- Santa Barbara Montecito Luxury Real Estate Articles
- Santa Barbara Oceanfront Real Estate Articles
Subscribe: Receive Personal Listings of Santa Barbara and Montecito and Goleta Area Homes Search: The Santa Barbara Area MLS For more information on Real Estate here in Santa Barbara, Montecito and/or our surrounding areas, as well as any other aspects of life in our wonderful town, please don’t hesitate to contact Kevin Schmidtchen at Berkshire Hathaway Home Services. Thank you for reading. I hope you find Santa Barbara Real Estate Voice informative. Please feel free to contact me or comment below with any thoughts.