2014 Year in Review: Top 10 Real Estate Sales in The Santa Barbara Area
Santa Barbara once again in 2014 has seen a fabulous year for anyone who owns real estate in our area. After the down market from 2008 until about May 2012, Santa Barbara has simply been on a steady rise with regards to values. The latter half of 2012 and the entire 2013 had very strong gains which then continued through most of 2014. Around August of last year, we started to see a little leveling of prices, but overall a very strong year.
Depending on the area in our town, prices rose somewhere on average between 12-18% in Santa Barbara in 2014. Within the higher end real estate market for Santa Barbara (let's say $2 million plus), there has been true consistent demand for the last several years. This part of our market has been as strong as any and sometimes has been the strongest part of the market. I would estimate that around at least 1/3 of this market has been and will continue to be cash transactions.
Here below is a list of the overall Top 10 Highest Priced Sales in Santa Barbara for 2014.
1. 3219 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara CA, Sales Price $8,400,000. Set on 1.3 acres with 100' of bluff-top frontage, this one-of-a-kind estate provides the coveted SB lifestyle, along with unobstructed views of the Pacific. The 6 bedroom, 6.5 baths private Mediterranean home offers nearly 6700 square feet of living space with luxury appointments and artisan craftsmanship, as well as numerous balconies and patios capturing both ocean and mountain views throughout most of the home.
Built in 1999 and then customized through an extensive remodel, this Mediterranean estate exhibits timeless design, blending the best traditional architectural elements with the casual living and entertaining that comes with the California beach lifestyle. Unlike most of Santa Barbara's ocean front homes (where often location is offset by some potential noise and a lack of privacy), this incredible property is set far off the street. It rests down a shared driveway, but has its own private entrance and motor court. From the incredible outdoor areas you not only enjoy the calming sound of the ocean, but the incredible panoramic views of one of Santa Barbara's most desirable beaches.
Santa Barbara Luxury Bluff Top
Santa Barbara Luxury Bluff Top[
2. 931 Las Alturas Road, Santa Barbara CA, Sales Price $6,778,000. Impressive ocean, harbor and island views. Updated historic 1928 French villa on 2 level acres. Large light filled high ceiling public rooms, intimate master suite with 2 master bathrooms. Attached 2 bedroom guest house. Oversized 4-car garage. 4+ bedroom main house with media/family room and cozy den.
Santa Barbara Top of Riviera
3. 2280 Santiago Road, Santa Barbara CA, Sales Price $6,725,000. Quintessential Santa Barbara - romantic Andalusian circa 1939 on approx. 2.7 ocean/mountain view acres. Restored to perfection, this captivating Riviera residence offers a sumptuous master suite + 2 additional bedrooms, private guest quarters, artist’s studio & large workshop. Mature native landscaping entwined with paths leading to intimate patios & pool garden create an unforgettable coastal estate.
4. 3455 Marina Drive, Santa Barbara CA, Sales Price $5,110,000. Enjoy the essence of indoor/outdoor living in Campanil. Stunning views on approximately 1 acre. Elegant approximately 4600 sq.ft. villa with large entertainment spaces built in 2011. Oversized living, family, dining and loggia. 4 bedroom, 3.5 baths, study, gourmet kitchen. Fabulous pool/spa and outdoor area & putting green. Stone floors throughout, and three car garage. European ambiance in Santa Barbara.
Santa Barbara Bluff Top
5. 1111 Mission Ridge Road, Santa Barbara CA, Sales Price $4,850,000. Breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean, Channel Islands, city lights, and majestic mountains are the backdrop for this newly staged 1915 Craftsman home. The master suite (with fireplace, walk in closet, and office) opens to a private balcony with views that go on for miles. Additional features include gourmet kitchen (with top of the line appliances), butler's pantry, a unique breakfast nook, wine cellar, fitness room with sauna, library, large dining room, inviting pool and spa, tennis court, and guest house. Rolling lawns, fruit trees, gazebo, and a water feature complete the grounds.
6. 1131 Las Alturas Road, Santa Barbara CA, Sales Price $3,950,000. Wonderful new construction at the top of the Riviera. This was a fire lot that was completely rebuilt. Very high end modern spanish style home.
Santa Barbara Top of Riviera New Construction
7. 1409 Shoreline Drive, Santa Barbara CA, Sales Price $3,800,000. Incredible gated Spanish estate set on approx 200 feet of ocean frontage next to Shoreline Park in Santa Barbara’s favorite Mesa neighborhood. Stunning unobstructed ocean, island & Shoreline park views from every room. 4,357 sqft home enjoys many amenities: hardwood floors, cathedral beam ceilings, 3 fireplaces, many French doors, large family room off the kitchen, 2 private offices, dining area.
8. 1117 Las Alturas Road, Santa Barbara CA, Sales Price $3,600,000. Breathtaking unobstructed ocean, island, and city views from this perfectly situated property at the crest of the American Rivera. This magnificent home was built to encompass the best features of the architecture of George Washington Smith with attention to detail throughout including groin vaults, Venetian plaster, copper gutters, custom wrought iron fixtures , and wood paneled ceilings.
The gourmet kitchen includes custom cabinets with Carrera marble, walk in pantry, breakfast nook with ocean views, and top of the line appliances. The upstairs master suite includes a spacious and tasteful bathroom with dual sinks and spa like shower and tub, and a fantastic walk in closet. Downstairs includes another ocean view master suite which graciously opens to the back garden, a guest bedroom with a lovely in-suite bath, a family room with sandstone fireplace and French doors to the back garden, a large laundry room, a fully wired media room, and a 300 bottle chilled wine cellar.
9. 1927 El Camino De La Luz, Santa Barbara CA, Sales Price $3,395,000. Remarkable front-row oceanfront views from this recently remodeled single-level home. Reconstructed inside and out of the highest quality, turnkey-ready for ease and enjoyment of the oceanfront lifestyle. Look over a backyard like a nature preserve, almost 300' to the bluff top. Configured as 2 bedroom for current owners, but den and office/rec room addition offer flexibility. Very private and quiet. Hidden location down a driveway off a cul-de-sac street -- completely private and quiet, yet just a few minutes stroll over the footbridge to La Mesa Park and shops, services and restaurants.
Santa Barbara Bluff Top The Mesa
10. 1701 La Vista Del Oceano, Santa Barbara CA, Sales Price $3,375,000.
New Construction, spanish style home with spectacular views. Further Reading:
- Santa Barbara Market Statistics
- Buyer's Resources and Advice
- Santa Barbara Luxury Real Estate Market
- Santa Barbara The Mesa Neighborhood
- Santa Barbara The Riviera Neighborhood